My Dark Places - what's your favourite track?

General chat about Television Personalities.

Moderators: windlessair, Keg

What's your favourite track?

Special Chair
4%
All the Young Children On Crack
4%
Sick Again
No votes
Ex-Girlfriend Club
4%
Dream the Sweetest Dreams
4%
Velvet Underground
No votes
My Dark Places
No votes
I'm Not Your Typical Boy
17%
You Kept Me Waiting Too Long
No votes
They'll Have To Catch Us First
9%
She Can Stop Traffic
No votes
Tell Me About Your Day
13%
Then a Big Boy Came and Knocked It All Down
No votes
I hope You're Happy Now
9%
No More I hate Yous
26%
There's No Beautiful Way To Say Goodbye
9%

Total votes: 23

Keg
Site Admin

My Dark Places - what's your favourite track?

Post by Keg » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:32 pm

What's your favourite track on the new LP? Vote now!

Aidan

Post by Aidan » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:37 am

I know it's blasphemous, but I think MDP is the weakest TVPs album so far aside from Don't Cry Baby... And They All Lived... is far superior — and the live versions of the songs have all sounded better than the studio versions.
Image Image Image

Neil

Post by Neil » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:08 pm

To be honest, at first I was really disappointed with My Dark Places, but the more I listened to it, the more I liked it. When you listen to it at first, the only thing you can notice is how noisy it is, but after a while, the songs edge their way into your head, and you realise that they're really great pop tunes.
One criticism I'd make is that we don't hear enough of Victoria Yeulet's voice. She should have been given at least one track to really show off, in my opinion.

Aidan

Post by Aidan » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:54 pm

starchy wrote:One criticism I'd make is that we don't hear enough of Victoria Yeulet's voice. She should have been given at least one track to really show off, in my opinion.
But give the people what they want - people buy TVPs albums expecting to hear Dan. Especially so given that whoever's handling the PR for them seems determined to market MDP as a Babyshambles-style freakshow rather than for it's musical qualities (this is most blatant on the title track, where Dan & Ed are both simultaneously flat and incoherent compared to the far superior version that was available as a download on the TVPs site). It does seem a shame to me that after so much time and effort, certain people seem determined to shoehorn Dan into the gap left behind by the Jesus & Mary Chain.
Image Image Image

Pop Goes Art

Post by Pop Goes Art » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:33 pm

couldn't possibly pick one track :? i love them all,my favourites change from day to day depending what sort of mood i'm in
"Work Is The Curse Of The Drinking Classes"

Neil

Post by Neil » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:15 pm

Aidan wrote:whoever's handling the PR for them seems determined to market MDP as a Babyshambles-style freakshow rather than for it's musical qualities (this is most blatant on the title track, where Dan & Ed are both simultaneously flat and incoherent compared to the far superior version that was available as a download on the TVPs site)
I'll agree with that. Those early versions of My Dark Places, I Hope You're Happy Now and Dream The Sweetest Dreams were far better than the album versions.

It's a shame that the TVPs are being pigeonholed, but I suppose it's to be expected. Record companies (and sadly, the public) don't really like originality or individuality, whatever they say to the contrary. They have to keep things safe, so cramming bands and artists into tight little categories with allegedly "similar" bands and artists makes things easier to manage.

keep_searching

Post by keep_searching » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:47 pm

Hi people. I'm from Portugal and I've been doing a work about television personalities for university. In this moment I've a problem. I don't have the lyrics of "my dark places" and I didn't find it at internet.
Could anyone give me a help?

thanks.

Paul Groovy

Post by Paul Groovy » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:06 pm

I've gone for Thers No beautiful way to say goodbye,but thats just my fav at the moment.To me it is a heartbreaking song.
Groovy
x
ps now I've posted this I've filled all 4 latest post boxes!!!
tee hee

ilo varech

Post by ilo varech » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:15 pm

" special chair "

windlessair
Site Admin

I Hope You're Happy Now

Post by windlessair » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:06 pm

There are so many that I can list as a favorite. It would depend on mood and time of day I guess.

Standouts for me are:

"Dream The Sweetest Dreams"
" No More I Hate You's"
"I Hope You're Happy Now"

I think "I Hope You're Happy Now" is possible the finest song. It has so much going on. All the noises and the great effects on the guitars, the words and the song itself. Yea, that's my pick.

girl in the paisley shirt

Post by girl in the paisley shirt » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:20 pm

they'll have to catch us first it top!

claus

Post by claus » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:53 am

It's interesting how many different songs have been mentioned already. What a diverse (did I hear perverse?) bunch TVP fans are... I still can't believe that I am the only one so far who has picked "I'm not your typical boy". When I first heard it, it blew me away. Not only does it have a beautiful memory, but it defines Dan so very well... he clearly isn't your typical boy!

Even if that sounds conservative, I do prefer the "real songs" on MDP compared to the more sketchy/experimental stuff. Among those sketchy recordings "They'll have to catch us first" stands out for me, as it is really charming.
I can understand that some fans are disappointed with MDP. From what I have heard and read (mainly from Dans posting on the TVPs mailing list) this was recorded during two chaotic drunken days. It is hard not to think what a masterpiece this record might have been if Dan and the Band had spent a bit more concentrated work on the songs and the recording (yeah, I am aware of how uncool that sounds). On the other hand it is amazing how well the record still works considering the circumstances it was recorded under... well, just my opinion

Cheers

Claus

claus

Post by claus » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:55 am

claus wrote:Not only does it have a beautiful memory,
It was meant to be "melody" not "memory"...I am getting old

davefusa

Post by davefusa » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:26 am

i think the entire lp holds together nicely
i dont find myself hitting the advance button at all

and i've been listening every day for several weeks 8)

Stefan

my dark places: the novel

Post by Stefan » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:41 pm

strangely enough, i found myself humming "the velevet underground" all day yesterday. without having heard it for some time now.

by the way, has anyone read the book "my dark places" by james ellroy?
i think it was published in the late 90's. i didn't read this yet, but can recommend the author in general. at least for people who like dark and brutal criminal literature.

Nonsuch

Post by Nonsuch » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:49 pm

"No More I Hate Yous" was my choice...But it was a tough one, as all the songs on this album have really grown on me.

windlessair
Site Admin

Re: my dark places: the novel

Post by windlessair » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:55 pm

Stefan wrote: by the way, has anyone read the book "my dark places" by james ellroy?
i think it was published in the late 90's. i didn't read this yet, but can recommend the author in general. at least for people who like dark and brutal criminal literature.
As someone who works in a bookstore, I should have read it. Never have though. I have to check to see if there's a copy still around. I wonder if Daniel has read it?