Question about TVP.

General chat about Television Personalities.

Moderators: windlessair, Keg

kboyer

Question about TVP.

Post by kboyer » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:07 am

Hey everyone,
Not sure really who else to ask and I imagine you guys are pretty well informed about things TVP related so here-goes;
The song Velvet Underground on My Dark Places is a cover of a Jonathon Richman song, right? It says all the songs on the album were written by Daniel Treacy but I'm fairly sure I've heard the tune before...

Neil

Post by Neil » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:35 pm

It's not the Richman song. It's a brand spankin' new TVPs one, which just happens to be lyrically similar to the Jonathan Richman one.

Obviously, the TVPs one is much better. :D

Aidan

Post by Aidan » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:48 pm

starchy wrote:Obviously, the TVPs one is much better. :D
Well obviously... cos Dan's never released anything bad, has he? Ever heard Camping in France? :lol:
Image Image Image

Neil

Post by Neil » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:20 pm

Aidan wrote:Ever heard Camping in France? :lol:
Actually, no... :oops:

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:55 pm

starchy wrote:
actually yes.
dan says great lines like "je suis d'amour a morrissey" or "this is our first gig in france and it might be our last gig in france as well". and the introduction to "salvador dali's garden party" is an absolute highlight ("when i say something like woody allen was there you all go: hurrah, and if i say soemthing like ronald reagan was there you all say: booh).
"camping in france" is a tv personalities live album and that's it. either one likes the spontaneous live style or not (no tuned guitars, no set-list, a lot of surprises, everything dependent on the mood and form of the artists). none of the official tvp live albums captures them at their best. those moments are reserved for the bootleg fanatics among us.

cheers,
stefan

claus

Post by claus » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:39 pm

Hmm, hard to define what the TVPs "at their best" are, but I think Chocolate Art is a great live album. It contains excellent performances of some the best of the early songs, classic Dan banter with the audience and (on the CD version at least) THAT argument between Jowe Head and the soundman, while Dan seems to be embarassed to death and tries to entertain the audience with broken German ("Wie komme ich zu Minigolfplatz..?) and little comments about other bands of that time ("you don't get this with the Style Council"), ..., brilliant entertainment!

Claus

Stefan wrote:
starchy wrote:
none of the official tvp live albums captures them at their best. those moments are reserved for the bootleg fanatics among us.

cheers,
stefan

Neil

Post by Neil » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:34 pm

Stefan wrote:"when i say something like woody allen was there you all go: hurrah, and if i say soemthing like ronald reagan was there you all say: booh"
Hahahahaha oh god, I just HAVE to get my hands on that...

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:03 pm

[quote="claus"]Hmm, hard to define what the TVPs "at their best" are, but I think Chocolate Art is a great live album. ... THAT argument between Jowe Head and the soundman, ..., brilliant entertainment! [quote]

hi claus,
i totally agree.
especially THAT argument is one of the most entertaining moments in rock i've ever heard.

here are a few bootlegs/shows which could well be "the TVPs at their best":

1980 berlin excess
that one, with "and then suddenly", "prettiest girl in the world" etc...

1987 london 100 club
some of the best versions of privilege material

1989 berlin (new year's eve)
3 hour show. everything & more.

1993 paris
i was there that night. this one i will never forget. i remember it as their best show i attended. i think i saw 26 gigs in total (i will count again tonight).
at the 1993 european tour musically the standard was very high, the band was very tight and dan at the peak of his singing and guitar playing.

cheers,
stefan

windlessair
Site Admin

Post by windlessair » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:35 am

Stefan wrote:

Berlin is a classic - with Evan Dando joining Dan for some songs.

Another highlight is the epic Knitting Factory gig in New York in 1992. 2 sets that went on all night!
After a few hours of after-gig partying, the TVPs had to play the next Afternoon at Kim's Underground for a "unplugged" gig. Daniel was none-the-less a bit under the weather for it, but they managed to play a very entertaining (if not sometime humorous) show.

Yes, I agree, with Jowe on bass, and Jeffery on the drums Daniel was free to explore and experiment more fully.

claus

Post by claus » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:55 am

Windlessair wrote:
Stefan wrote:

Berlin is a classic - with Evan Dando joining Dan for some songs.
Dan sings "I remember the night when we first met, such a night noone will ever forget, the night the walls came down in Berlin" on "Evan doesn't ring me anymore" (what a great song, by the way), so I had always assumed that gig had been on November 9. But why should Art obey historical facts on the other side (and that new year's eve was the first one Berlin celebrated jointly so it must have been a very moving thing as well)?

Cheers

Claus

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:12 pm

didn't they play in east berlin earlier in 89? that famous show at "insel der jugend" which got broadcoasted on east german tv and radio dt64?

historical dates & facts and the poetic and artistic freedom of our beloved favourite artist are two different things.
beautiful song though...

cheers,
stefan

windlessair
Site Admin

Post by windlessair » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:48 am

Stefan wrote:didn't they play in east berlin earlier in 89? that famous show at "insel der jugend" which got broadcoasted on east german tv and radio dt64?
Yes! What a great show. I wasn't there, but Jowe gave me a copy of the recording of this gig. July 20th was the date according to him. It is one of my favorites and I can only imagine how cool it must have been to actually have been there that night.
Another highlight that night was a song called" Tell Me About Your Drugs". A unreleased gem! Also was a medley consisting of Heroes / Waiting For The Man / Vicious and Godstar..

Bertrand

Post by Bertrand » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:31 am

When I want to hear Salvador Dali's garden party, I usually pick Camping in France, for all the things said above.