Please introduce yourself here

General chat about Television Personalities.

Moderators: windlessair, Keg

Keg
Site Admin

Please introduce yourself here

Post by Keg » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:13 pm

If you are new to the forum and wish to say hello and tell us a bit about yourself and how you discovered Television Personalities, please do so here. Thank you very much.

womble

Post by womble » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:21 pm

One of fave TVP gigs was at the Richmond in Brighton. (Incidentally, Jowe got beaten at pool by a one-armed pool player in the bar before the gig -- I kid you not.) The gig itself was very 'noisy' but splendifirous as normal.

Finally, after a squawling mass of histrionic feedback that ended the final song, the 'away from home crowd' was a bit non-plussed -- and there was a deafening silence .... 'You can all go home now', said Dan, in his best school masterly voice -- with perfect timing.

That was all rather jolly n'est pa?

What more can I do or say really ....

I've always been rather partial to the 'mummy' album myself. Been a fan since the release of that very album
Last edited by womble on Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

diskojames

Post by diskojames » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:29 pm

hi folks.....been a longtime tvp's fan i guess not long compared to the old timers, about 10 years or so....read about them in the liner notes of a pulp re-issue strangely enough...picked up a live album....and immediately wrote them off, i hated it. saw "look darling" in a bargain bin and decided to give them one more try.....thank god for that! tvp's are my fav along w/ The Chameleons and John Lennon

Aidan

Post by Aidan » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:50 pm

I'm Aidan and if you were on the scene in the Days Before Britpop, there's a pretty good chance you already know me. Hello to all my former stalkers.
Last edited by Aidan on Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pop Goes Art

Post by Pop Goes Art » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:30 pm

kinda discovered the TVP's by default....i was(and still am) a huge fan of The Times got into them in the early to mid 80's around the time of the mod revival revival revival....or what ever the hell it was :lol: ....bought the Boys Brigade 7" through mail order and was instantly hooked,bought the Boys about Town 12",Hello Europe and Patrick McGoohan Lp's in a very short period of time......and when i learned more about Ed through the Fanzines of the time i found out he'd been in a band called Television Personalities so i decided to check them out...and as it was the first album i bought was Privilege(and yes i know Ed had nothing to do with that) and once again i was hooked and have bought everything ever since.
"Work Is The Curse Of The Drinking Classes"

Neil

Post by Neil » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:58 pm

Unfortunately I don't have any funky cool stories regarding my introduction to the TVPs.
My friend gave me a lend of some compilation cd of music which was apparently chosen by Mick Jones and Paul Simonon of the Clash, and Part Time Punks was on it. I got interested, read up on the TVPs, and eventually found "Chocolat-Art" in a record store in Dublin and f*****g LOVED it.

So yep. Not very interesting, but very honest. I should have lied and made up a really great story...

rainbowends

Introduce yourself

Post by rainbowends » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:44 pm

I first heard TVPs in 1980 when my friend played me his copy of the Bill Grundy EP. Then heard This Is Where The Rainbow Ends on a radio programme I was taping. I guessed it was the same band. In the early 90s my band supported a Closer To God era TVPs at the Bull & Gate. My current band, Semion, has a version of Prettiest Girl In The World (sung my me) on the Someone To Share My Life With tribute album currently available on But Is It Art?.
dignified and old

painterman

Post by painterman » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:26 pm

Hi, I borrowed 'don't the kids just love it' from swiss cottage library (i still have it, sorry camden council) and saw the the tvp's about a month later at the Living Room, fell head over heels with them,still going strong...

davefusa

Post by davefusa » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:31 am

warsup peeple
my names dave

i first got into tvps when the 'far away and lost in joy' ep came out (93?)
i heard it on the radio and said who is this... :shock: :idea:
i pretty much got everything i could find since then.

i am thrilled we have a new album from them and dan
i listened to it at least 8 times this weekend

Paul Groovy

Post by Paul Groovy » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:57 pm

Hello Brothers,Sisters and small furry animals,
Just what I need......another bloody forum to keep an eye on for news and chat about the Tvps.
I personally think that the tvps suck big time and the world would be better place if all their records tapes and cds were melted down.
Groovy
x

ps--The above is a joke by the way.I know I shouldn't have to make it obvious but some tvps fans seem to take things the wrong way!

pps-nice idea by the way Keg

claus

Melting down TVPs records

Post by claus » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:41 pm

Why a joke? The TVPs once claimed they were "bigger than the Beatles" (deliberate quoting out of context here), and as according to Lennon (66) the Beatles were bigger than Jesus, this logically implies that the TVPs see/saw themselves to be bigger than God (or his son...well definitely bigger than all his nephews or other relatives).
Such a blasphemy certainly deserves melting down of tapes, CDs, vinyl. (If we could only convince 100 000 George Bush fans of this theory, it could provide Dan with a considerable income, as somebody must pay for all the records that have to be burnt)

Claus

[quote="Paul Groovy"]
I personally think that the tvps suck big time and the world would be better place if all their records tapes and cds were melted down.
Groovy
x

ps--The above is a joke by the way.I know I shouldn't have to make it obvious but some tvps fans seem to take things the wrong way!

girl in the paisley shirt

Post by girl in the paisley shirt » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:28 pm

i;ve been lurking on the tvp yahoogroups list for ages so maybe at least i'll say hello here...so hello to everyone. i've been a fan for around 10-8 years and theyre definitely the band of my life. very happy about this forum. thanks to Keg :)

marc

Re: Please introduce yourself here

Post by marc » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:11 pm

Keg wrote:If you are new to the forum and wish to say hello and tell us a bit about yourself and how you discovered Television Personalities, please do so here. Thank you very much.
Hi,
My name is Marc and I am from Germany. In 1989 I bought a record called "Chocolate Art - Live in Forum Enger" second hand - just because I lived in Bielefeld (a middle sized city near to this strange little town called Enger) and the "Forum Enger" was a good club to be... yumi and yaki. Drink some beer and hear music. I was really young (around 16) and it was FRESH! for me.
I just love the music of the TVP's ever since. Listen to the live recording "Live at the ALTE PAULINE, Detmold" 10/May/1996. It's me shouting "I know where Paul Weller lives!!!" What else can I say here?!

Bazza

Post by Bazza » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:51 am

I'm from Middlesbrough in the North East of England and have been into The TVP's since the mid 80s. I'm a big fan of Ed Ball & The Times and I though I would check out The TVP's because of that. I've still yet to see either The TVP's or Ed Ball/The Times live but I'm hoping to catch them both sometime this year. Ed Ball was on the bill for the Mods Mayday 1999 gig at The Forum but for some reason he never played on the day.

Bertrand

Post by Bertrand » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:10 pm

Hi !
My name's Bertrand, today's my birthday & finding out about this forum today's quite a pleasure.
I only discovered the TVP when they were supposed to be a late band.
I had, in 1994 or so, bought a 4-bands-double-7"" on Wiija Records.
On one side was this band Comet Gain. I liked them. A few years later, I bought their Magnetic Poetry mini album & liked it a lot. I then decided to give their first album a try (didn't find it as great though). The liner notes on that album had been written by Dan Treacy who, I knew, was the TVP's leader.
I told myself that that guy had good taste & borrowed the only TVP album there was at my local Mediatheque : Yes, Darling But Is It Art?
I adored it & subsequently tried to find albums. I found Yes, found Mummy, Don't Cry and nothing else (that was prior to the 2nd Fire Records reissues). I kept looking for these records but nada, nothing, rrrrrr...
In 2002, after finding Bigger and the Kids, I left France & headed to London where I entered every single record store I could see.
I went back with Chocolate Art, Camping In France, I Was A Mod & Closer to God.
That made me soooo glad.
I've been looking forward seeing Mr Treacy pick up the guitar again since.

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:35 pm

hi,

my name is stefan and i discovered the tvp's in march 1990 when they went on stage in the german town krefeld. though i already was a fan of 60's music, mod revival, 80's indie and even had records of the times and biff bang pow in my collection the tvp's were new to me. they changed my life. my personal tvp-highpoint was when daniel allowed/invited me to join the tvp's and the bartlebees on their tourbus in 1996 for 2 weeks. this - again - changed my life. i don't know if for the better... ;-)
nowadays i work as an a&r/label manager at a german indie distributor. we are carrying all 'original' tvp albums except for "my dark places".
i love this band more than any other and this will never change.

cheers,
stefan

Keg
Site Admin

Post by Keg » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:43 pm

Stefan wrote:my personal tvp-highpoint was when daniel allowed / invited me to join the tvp's and the bartlebees on their tourbus in 1996 for 2 weeks. this - again - changed my life. i don't know if for the better... ;-)
Got any good stories to share, Stefan? :D

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:00 pm

;-)[/quote]
Got any good stories to share, Stefan? :D[/quote]

isn't "whatever happens on the road, stays on the road..." a rock'n'roll rule?
but yes, there are some good stories/quotes i can share and i will do when i find the time.

here is a short one:
when i was in london for the "last tv personalities show ever" in june 96 i stayed a couple of days with dan at sexton's (very cool) flat. i remember we sat in a camden cafe around 11 in the morning and we ordered a carafe/decanter of frozen tequila. when i said that it might be too early for this sort of drink dan replied in his typical way: "it doesn't make you drunk. it just changes the colours... slightly." and he was right. which impressed me a lot.

cheers,
stefan

claus

Post by claus » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:50 pm

Hi everybody!

I can't compete with Stefan's first hand tourbus memories (I imagine it wasn't the happiest of times for Dan..., at least I remember the Bartlebees mentioning that the atmosphere was quite grim on that tour...oh I see perhaps they meant it was "GRIMM"), but I think it is about time to introduce myself as well: Claus, German, but living in Scotland nowadays.
I first came across the TVPs by chance in a record shop in Siegen (small provincial town somewhere in Germany), where me and a friend found this weird LP (aah...the good old days...and yes, I am THAT old!) which had a completely white cover on which somebody had written "Pigs X Rise" in big red letters. We looked at the record included and that said that the album was called "They could have been bigger than the Beatles" and the band were "The Television Personalities" (until this day I have got no clue, whether the writing on the cover was an act of vandalism or their on purpose...never seen an all white cover for that LP again either..if anybody can shed a light on this strange edition of the record, that would be great!). We thought the whole thing looked like a good joke but were intrigued enough to buy the record as a birthday present for our friend Tino.
At home we put it on, and so that LP version of "Three Wishes" was my first ever TVP song. I liked it straightaway and I liked "David Hockney's Diaries" even better as it reminded me very much of the Kinks (crossed with early Pink Floyd). The whole record sounded to me as if I had found demo version of a 60s masterpiece...I loved it. Unfortunately I had to give it away to Tino a few days later, probably the best birthday present he ever got...obviously he became a fan immediately too.

At that time (mid eighties) it was hard to get hold of any other TVP releases apart from Chocolate Art, which was my introduction to many of their early classics. Only with the Fire re-releases at the end of the 80s, did I get the chance to buy the whole Dan Treacy oeuvre, but it had been worth the wait.
I first saw them live in Bochum (Bahnhof Langendreer) in 1990, then again 93, 95 and twice in 96. Even if it was a bit sad (Dan announced this would be the last time he would tour Germany), my fondest memory is the 96 gig in Cologne's Underground. Dan played lot of stuff solo, was extremely funny and took requests from the audience. A special night, I thought about very often, particularly later on, when it became clear that he had been serious about leaving it all behind...
As Stefan said the TVPs are a special band, and one of only three bands that changed my life. The other two were The Sweet, when I was 7 years old, my introduction to Rock'n Roll... and then the Beatles at 12, after having seen "A hard days night" on TV and discovering the red and blue album. Sweet showed me that there is this magical thing called rock music, the Beatles showed me how songs have to be written but the TVPs gave me the courage to do this myself, though I am a lousy musician... to me Dan is the greatest living songwriter... it is hard to analyze exactly how he does it, but he can touch you with a song, like nobody else!

OK, that was my life, it was (as far as the TVPs are concerned)

Cheers

Claus

Arnold-Layne

Post by Arnold-Layne » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:22 pm

Hello......My name is not Arnold - but it shall be on this forum - this is my story......

Last year I was walking home from work - looking at all the fly posters on the rundown buildings looking for something that would jump out and maker me an offer - very seldom things do.

THE TV PERSONALITIES - LIVE

Now I have to confess at this point if I had heardTP in my life it must have been in a club or at a friends house - as I did not own any TVP music. So how did I know of them? Im a huge Syd Barrett fan - I was aware of the song "I know Where Syd Barrett Lives".....I was also aware of the strory abour reading out his adress with a very annoyed Dave Gilmour sitting in the wings. TVP also pop up in Syd books frequently - Dan donning his cap in Syd's direction and citing him as a huge influnce.

Would I go? - One had to go......

I have never enjoyed a gig so much in my life - I was new to the songs - I had no idea of they were new or old - but they captivated me - they caught my imagination - Dan was such a great frontman - but most importantly - they had AMAZING songs - if the amazing songs are not there - the rest is imaterial.

Next day I blagged a half day from work - went in to town and purchased as much TVP as I could - I aint looked back since.

I dont want to prattle on......so thats my story.