Jowe goes to the USA

Chat about Jowe Head and his many groups.

Moderators: windlessair, Keg

Keg
Site Admin

Jowe goes to the USA

Post by Keg » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:11 am

Jowe is visiting the USA in April 2008. Here's his itinerary.

Jowe Head: Itinerary for USA April 2008

Thursday April 10th: recording of radio session at WFMU in New Jersey. Transmission expected on Saturday April 12th.

Friday 11th & Saturday 12th April: concerts at Cake Shop, 152 Ludlow St, New York City. Doors open at 8pm

Sunday13th April: Performance at Eat Records, Mesrole Street, Brooklyn NY (time tbc)

Friday April 18th: Concert at Claude's Bar, Phoenicia NY starting at 8pm. Also playing JRBW.

My exhibition at Cake Shop is due to run from 1st-30th April
Please see the Cake Shop website for full details: http://www.cake-shop.com

My next exhibition, showing different pictures, is in the solo room at the Arts Upstairs Gallery in Phoenicia NY, and it opens Saturday April 19th at 6pm for 4 weeks..

No rest for the wicked!

Keg
Site Admin

Post by Keg » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:39 am

There's an interview with Jowe in the latest issue of Chronogram magazine (a NY arts / music publication):

http://www.chronogram.com/issue/2008/4/ ... -the-Brain

windlessair
Site Admin

Re: Jowe goes to the USA

Post by windlessair » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:59 pm

Wow, what an amazing tour. Jowe was in fine form and was well-backed by Lisa & Hamish from The Mad Scene and Wm. Berger on guitar. He played a variety of songs; everything from Swell Maps songs, to covers to new material. I have many photos to share and also a recording or two (with Jowe's permission of course).
All I can say it was a week that will live long in my memory. Full of art and music and goood friends. Thank you Jowe!
Darrell

Keg
Site Admin

Post by Keg » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:29 pm

Just found this clip of Jowe playing 'Diesel Loco' at the Cakeshop on April 11th:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXSjlD3pHsc

train of fane

Review of NYC Cakeshop shows

Post by train of fane » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:38 pm

Hey all, this is not my original review, but taken from another list - Thank you Andy who wrote it originally!

---------------------------------------

Posted by: "sleepypinwheel2@aol.com"

Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:32 pm (PDT)

i was fortunate enough to catch both sets by jowe head (backed by the wonderful Mad Scene and a guitar player who reminded me a lot of a specific comedic actor whose name i can't remember) at that l.e.s. venue named for one of his songs. it was really awesome, guys. i had a blast, thanks so much to everyone involved. during the more unhinged, experimental bits of the set (the second night in particular) the band's sound was spectacularly swell maps-esque with jowe making clicks and pops on the guitar. at other times, it sounded more or less like The Clean with jowe singing, largely because hamish kilgour is one of the most original and distinctive sounding drummers ever.

jowe's new songs are really super cool and a lot of 'em really stuck with me. but for me the highlights of the first night was all the swell maps numbers being revived: a vertical slum->full moon in my pocket-> mother sky by can medley. read about seymour. real shocks. hs art and the almost-swell maps song baby bounce...the second night felt like a much shorter set in terms of the number of songs played. jowe did not change up the set as promised but in fact every single song had been played the first night too; however, with the addition of danny on synths, vibraphone and tambourine the arrangements became much fuller and richer, especially on jowe's new songs and swell maps numbers where epic's piano and musique conrete background clatter featured prominently. jowe's stage banter as well as his guitarist's was witty as ever (my favorite: "elvis would be turning in his grave if he wasn't still alive!," though it was funnier the first time).

jowe was lovely in person also, very kind and friendly, always a joker.
the band was awesome and i encourage any british post-punkers wanting to come play a solo set in nyc to hire The Mad Scene as your backing band if they're willing - they're quite the definition of a damn good BAND. the new songs were colorful and memorable. the old songs... well, they're classics, aren't they? all in all a great time was had by everyone.

love,
-andy