Nikki Sudden / Swell Maps tribute gigs

Chat about Jowe Head and his many groups.

Moderators: windlessair, Keg

Keg
Site Admin

Nikki Sudden / Swell Maps tribute gigs

Post by Keg » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:09 pm

There will be a tribute to Nikki Sudden at the Dirty Water Club at the Boston Arms, Tufnel Park, London, this Friday, 21st July. Lots of famous faces will be appearing, but the highlight for Jowe / Swell Maps fans will be a set of Swell Maps songs played by Jowe Head, Lee McFadden (Angel Racing Food), Max Decharne from the Flaming Stars and former Swell Map Richard "Biggles" Earl.

http://www.dirtywaterclub.co.uk/

On Thursday 31st August there'll be a similar show at the Rotesalon in Berlin, for Nikki's friends and fans in Germany. Jowe says:

"I will be singing more Maps material there that night too with, hopefully, the same line-up. I hope that these shows will be a celebration of the dear fellow's great songs, and that we'll have a wild night!"

leefact25

Post by leefact25 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:33 pm

Max and I won't be able to meet Richard till the soundcheck - no pressure there then! (Jowe had a jam with him last week)

BE THERE!!! Or be somewhere else.....

Lee

Keg
Site Admin

Post by Keg » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:43 pm

So! Did anyone besides Lee attend? Anyone got a list of the Swell Maps songs that were played?

Keg
Site Admin

Post by Keg » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:00 pm

Jowe posted this today to his Yahoo community:

Hi friends

Nikki Sudden's tribute night on Friday was a great event. Sad and happy at the same time. I am told that the Swell Maps songs sounded great! It was great fun to splay them again, but it's very strange to sing them, instead of Nikki. Richard Earl (aka Biggles Books) came down from the Midlands to play his guitar and made it in time for the soundcheck. He had never even met Lee and Max before, but they were very helpful, and we were a great team, I think.

Here is our set-list:
REAL SHOCKS / H.S.ART / LETS BUILD A CAR /
READ ABOUT SEYMOUR / INTERNATIONAL RESCUE /
GUNBOATS / WHATEVER HAPPENS NEXT /
MIDGET SUBMARINES /
medley: VERTICAL SLUM - FULL MOON – BLAM

Dave Kusworth and his Jacobites set was great too. I missed some of it because we were practicing in the dank basement, but Darren Bath, Mick Taylor and Captain Sensible all played, and I witnessed some other people that I didn't know playing groovy music as well. Nikki would have loved the show, I am sure.

Best wishes, Jowe

Keg
Site Admin

Post by Keg » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:52 pm

Berlin 31.08.06
Nikki Sudden tribute show

Message from Jowe:

Hi Keg, and Darrell, and all our other pals out there!

The tribute to Nikki in Berlin was another great success.
The only reservation was the fact that Richard Earl (ex-Maps) could not make it this time. Line up was me on bass, Lee McFadden (ARF and ATV) on guitar, and Max Descharne (Flaming Stars) on drums. I sang most of the songs, but Lee sang lead on "Build A Car".

Our set list: Real Shocks / HS Art / Let's Build A Car / Read About Seymour / International Rescue / Midget Submarines / Medley - Vertical Slum: Full Moon: Blam: Full Moon (Reprise). Also, me and Lee backed Max on a new song he has dedicated to Nikki on the new FS album.

There were a number of other fine performers (20 in all) adding their contributions - a fine night, and a great celebration of Nikki's songs. It was a great thrill to be playing these songs for one more time. I can't see that this will happen again, but maybe one or two might crop up for a special occasion!

x Jowe